Are you still tired of having your rights trampled on by grandstanding politicians? I hope you are! Let's continue to do something about it. I hope everyone here will join in to help with the fight. Here's our jointly decided plan for the week of 3/26:
We agreed to target the House Subcommittee on Trade this week. The WTO will be ruling on Antigua's complaint against the U.S. soon (see The Antigua - U.S. WTO Dispute over Internet Gambling); let's put out the word that we expect our country to honor its international commitments just as we expect other nations to honor theirs.
These are issues of fairness, American competitiveness, and freedom. Fairness in that we want other nations to trade freely with us. Competitiveness in that these are our games (the games sure as hell aren't called Isle of Mann Hold'em, London 8, or Antigua Hi-Lo); we should be the ones offering them to the world. Let the WTO break down other nations' barriers as well. China can manufacture and export all the goods they want; the U.S. will recoup it on the vig! And finally, freedom. Americans should be at least as free as citizens of other nations. Seems we're not, as they can play poker at home while our government insists on having our banks (and ISPs if the government had its way) spy on us.
- contact Shelley Berkley's (D-NV) office this week (one phone call AND one snail mail letter, plus email if she accepts it from nonconstituents); ask her to to honor our international commitments by either introducing legislation repealing UIGEA or by cosponsoring Barney Frank's upcoming legislation repealing UIGEA. Rep. Berkley is a big supporter of ours, so make sure to thank her for her support as well.
- contact the majority and minority offices of the subcommittee (one phone call AND one snail mail letter)
- contact your representative (one phone call AND one snail mail letter, plus daily emails) and ask him/her to cosponsor Frank's repeal efforts
- if you've not yet done so, call Barney Frank's office and ask him to introduce legislation repealing UIGEA.
- write a short letter to your local newspaper about your desire for the U.S. to comply with the WTO.
- contact the two House Subcommittee on Trade members closest to your home and ask them to cosponsor Frank's repeal efforts
- if feeling ambitious, print out letters for your friends to sign and mail
Thanks to everyone who participates. I'm looking forward this week's fight for our rights. Please reply to this thread if you participate. Thanks!
Prior Action Plan threads (2+2):
Fight UIGEA!! -- Action plan for week of 2/26
Fight UIGEA!! -- Action plan for week of 3/5
Fight UIGEA!! -- Action plan for week of 3/12
Fight UIGEA!! -- Action plan for week of 3/19