Mark Cuban envisions Dallas-Fort Worth casino-resort
The always forthright owner of the Dallas Mavericks, Mark Cuban, is planning big once more. The renownedly outspoken billionaire recently revealed his vision for a massive casino resort facility in Texas that would serve as the hub for his NBA club.
Speaking at a business conference in Dallas, Cuban presented the idea of the Mavericks building a new arena that would be a big resort area with a full-fledged casino. He maintained that there aren't many tourism sites in Texas that entice visitors from outside the state. A casino complex near Dallas, in Cuban's opinion, has the potential to become a top national attraction.
Why not an online casino Instead of a physical resort?
Cuban appears to be more interested in developing a sizable physical casino resort than he is in promoting the legalization of online gaming.
A LasVegas-based expert offered several likely reasons for Cuban’s preference of a land-based resort over online offerings:
- A land-based resort brings in out-of-state visitors instead of just using Texans' leftover cash. This stimulates new business ventures.
- Both temporary construction jobs and long-term service opportunities are created by the development of an opulent new arena and resort.
- Cuban is aware that the allure of gambling extends beyond simple wagering to include taking in dining establishments, entertainment, live performances, and more in a destination setting. Online casinos don't have this.
- Cuban can aim to build a resort that equals Las Vegas in scope and extravagance with corporate support from Las Vegas Sands, making it a genuine national attraction.
- Cuban envisions an influence and scale far beyond than Texas, even though online casinos may potentially grow there in the future. He hopes to change Texas's allure for travelers across the country by utilizing casinos.
Cuban’s thoughts about collaboration with Las Vegas heavyweights
Cuban declared that in order to realize this audacious plan, he would even collaborate with Las Vegas Sands, one of the biggest casino developers in the world. Renowned Las Vegas establishments like The Venetian and Marina Bay Sands in Singapore are managed by Sands. Cuban wants to use their experience to build a unique casino resort in Texas.
With the combined resources of Sands and Cuban, the project may be able to compete with anything in Las Vegas or other global gaming hotspots. The resort would like to establish Texas as a top travel destination for travelers.
Political barriers to casinos are still high
But when it comes to gambling, Cuban's audacious plans encounter strong political resistance in Texas's customarily conservative environment. Cuban suggests "resort-style gaming," which would limit casinos to certain entertainment areas; nevertheless, state lawmakers have always opposed even this modest increase in gambling.
Before the legislative session adjourned earlier this year, a bill allowing only eight resort casinos in Texas was voted down. The state legislature won't convene again until 2025, so it's likely that Texas won't be able to welcome full-fledged casinos a la Vegas for another four years or more. After failing this year, sports betting is still prohibited.
Growing public support in spite of political opposition
Public support for Texas's gambling expansion appears to be growing, despite political divisions. There has been a 70% increase in attempts to place sports bets within the state, according to the Texas Sports Betting Alliance.
This demonstrates that despite politicians’ inaction, the public is clamoring for more gaming options. If Cuban maintains this issue's prominence, his well-known lobbying may continue to change people's opinions. However, the political opposition to the gambling sector is still very much in place for the time being.
“Mark Cuban's Grand Vision for a Texas Casino Resort” , Dana Nikolic, newsbreak.com, November 6, 2023.